Duncan is an award-winning editor with greater than 20 years expertise in journalism. Having launched his tech journalism profession as editor of Arabian Pc Information in Dubai, he has since edited an array of tech and digital advertising and marketing publications, together with Pc Enterprise Evaluation, TechWeekEurope, Figaro Digital, Digit and Advertising and marketing Gazette.
Greater than two-thirds of malware downloads got here from cloud apps in 2021, in line with a research by Netskope, a safe entry service edge (SASE) specialist, titled Cloud and Menace Highlight: January 2022.
The analysis highlights the continued development of malware and different malicious payloads delivered by cloud purposes. The year-over-year evaluation identifies the highest developments in cloud attacker actions and cloud information dangers from 2021 as in comparison with 2020, and examines modifications within the malware panorama all through 2021, highlighting that attackers are attaining extra success delivering malware payloads to their victims and providing recommendation for bettering safety posture in 2022.
The research additionally recognized Google Drive because the app with essentially the most malware downloads, taking the spot from Microsoft OneDrive.
The analysis uncovered a rise in malicious Workplace paperwork from 19% to 37% of all malware downloads, all pointing to an increase in cloud software safety dangers. The report additional exhibits that greater than half of all managed cloud app cases are focused by credential assaults.
Primarily based on anonymised information collected from the Netskope Safety Cloud throughout hundreds of thousands of customers worldwide from January 1, 2020 to November 30, 2021, key findings of the 2021 Cloud & Menace Highlight embrace:
- Cloud-delivered malware is now extra prevalent than web-delivered malware. In 2021, malware downloads originating from cloud apps elevated to 66% of all malware downloads when in comparison with conventional web sites, up from 46% initially of 2020.
- Google Drive emerges as the highest app for many malware downloads. Analysis discovered that Google Drive now accounts for essentially the most malware downloads in 2021, taking excessive spot from Microsoft OneDrive.
- Cloud-delivered malware through Microsoft Workplace almost doubled from 2020 to 2021. Malicious Microsoft Workplace paperwork elevated to 37% of all malware downloads on the finish of 2021 in comparison with 19% initially of 2020, as attackers proceed to make use of weaponized Workplace Paperwork to realize an preliminary foothold on course techniques. The Emotet malspam marketing campaign in Q2 2020 kicked off a spike in malicious Microsoft Workplace paperwork that copycat attackers have sustained over the previous six quarters, with no indicators of slowing down.
- Greater than half of managed cloud app cases are focused by credential assaults. Attackers consistently attempt frequent passwords and leaked credentials from different companies to realize entry to delicate data saved in cloud apps. Whereas the general stage of assaults remained constant, the sources of the assaults shifted considerably, with 98% of assaults coming from new IP addresses.
- Company information exfiltration is on the rise. One out of seven workers takes information with them after they depart their employer, utilizing private app cases. Between 2020 and 2021, a mean of 29% of departing workers downloaded extra recordsdata from managed company app cases, and 15% of customers uploaded extra recordsdata to non-public app cases of their closing 30 days.
Ray Canzanese, Menace Analysis Director, Netskope Menace Labs, mentioned: “The growing recognition of cloud apps has given rise to 3 forms of abuse described on this report: attackers making an attempt to realize entry to sufferer cloud apps, attackers abusing cloud apps to ship malware, and insiders utilizing cloud apps for information exfiltration.
“The report serves as a reminder that the identical apps that you simply use for reliable functions might be attacked and abused. Locking down cloud apps might help to forestall attackers from infiltrating them, whereas scanning for incoming threats and outgoing information might help block malware downloads and information exfiltration.”
Seeking to learn to set up a strategic hybrid cloud? Be taught extra in regards to the digital Hybrid Cloud Congress, happening on 18 January and discover methods to optimise and unleash the ability of your hybrid cloud. Discover different upcoming enterprise know-how occasions and webinars powered by TechForge right here.